Create Facebook Chat App for Mac OSX
After being disappointed time and time again with less than great facebook chat clients available for mac computers I decided to do some digging. Lo and behold Fluid comes to the rescue once again. Fluid lets you create a Real Mac App (or “Fluid App”) out of any website or web application, effectively turning your favorite web apps into OS X desktop apps. To make your Facebook Chat app follow the following steps:
- Download Fluid and install.
- Open Fluid and set the fields to the following:
- URL: https://www.facebook.com/messages/
- Name: Use any name you like. In this case I used “Facebook Chat”
- Location: Leave as “Applications”
- Icon: You can use “Website Favicon” or choose “Other” and select your own. Here is a great image that can be used for your facebook chat app.
- Click “Create”
- At this point you will get a success message. Go ahead and hit “Launch”
- Click on the name of your app in the menu bar and select preferences.
- Browse to “Behavior” and under “Closing the last browser window” select “Only hides the window”
- Thats it you’re done! You now have your very own Facebook chat client.
You can resize the app as you see fit. This app will also allow you to browse Facebook as well.