Religious Hard Talk
After reading Spanish Inquistor’s blog I have a few questions about religion and Christianity that i need answering. It seems that whenever a person is unsure about the whole religion thing and they need questions answered, the people who should know the answer either don’t answer with them saying that you shouldn’t question what is or they give you some round the bush answer that doesn’t really answer anything. You know what I’m talking about, the whole FAITH answer, you know, telling you to have faith and don’t question God for if you do bad thing will happen. Its like a big circle with every question having the same answer being recycled over and over again.
Someone once said religion is the opium of the people but its better to say religion is the rod of conformation. What better way to keep society in control, have a book with a set of guidelines written not by man but through man from divine intervention by a supreme being. Live your life by these guidelines and have eternal happiness, if you don’t you shall burn in a fiery pit for all eternity. Wow, some choice, conform or burn. In order to prevent people from not accepting what religion (Christianity) preaches someone invented faith, a nice word which means in my point of view “to follow blindly” and when people like me ask questions they cover their ears and make some incoherent sounds to prevent themselves from hearing.
(I think that this is the point that those people I’m talking will leave this page.)
I am not an atheist or agnostic i just have some questions before i commit to something, I’m not like the second monkey who jumped of the bridge because the first one jumped. If i remember correctly (from my days at Sunday school) God gave us free will, to choose how we want live our life and what we should believe just that if you make the wrong one you will go to hell (some choice huh). So in order to make the right choice i am going to take a scientific approach…pose the questions that i have and based on the evidence i will make a decision and not just take hearsay as Gospel (pun intended).
So without further ado here are my questions:
- In the beginning…. it seems to me that most of this section of the Bible is highly speculative seeing that pretty much there wasn’t any written history around this time and if God put all the answers of how we came about in some guys dream he was being rather vague, i mean where are stuff like the dinosaurs? its hard to miss these large lizards prowling the earth. why didn’t he mention that the earth was round instead of having people stumble around in the dark killing people because they said it was flat.
- Why create evil? seeing that God was the only thing that existed why did he create evil could he have just made everything good?
- I suppose it can be said that God made the devil- again with some Sunday school memory, wasn’t the devil a angel of God’s and he became jealous and was cast down? why would God make angels, beings who are supposed to have been infused with as much goodness as possible and one became evil enough to be the Ying to God’s Yang.
- If God can see the past, present and future why didn’t he see that the devil was gonna become a nuisance? or was that what he wanted? because if that is it then he is rather wicked.
- Why is there an Old and New Testament? From the picture that was painted, God shouldn’t make mistakes and have to revise some of that was said in the Old Testament.
- Last time i checked we were all God’s children so why is Jesus special,was he asexually produced by God or does God have a wife. A lot of people say God, Jesus and the Holy spirit is three in one, why is there three?
- If God gave us free will maybe that answers a lot of the questions above. But if thats the case the bible could be a hoax. If we the writers of the bible had free will then maybe they wrote crap (note: not C.R.A.P.). Kings have huge egos and time and time again we have seen them use icons and ideologies for their own purpose, maybe the Bible was one of them. King James could have said “Take the early idea of early Christianity and write it in such a way to make it look like guidelines just so that i can control the people.”
- I’m pretty sure that all the writings that were done by early Christians and disciples that were meant for the Bible weren’t put in there, so am i getting the whole story? How can i make a right choice without the whole story…i need the whole story.
- The Commandments- Your whole life is based around those things and face it man is not too smart, so why make it so ambiguous? for example, “honor thy mother and father”, does that mean that if my father/mother molested me am i suppose to honor them still? because it didn’t have any subsection with stipulations, will i go to hell if i don’t? The commandment “thou shalt not covet thine neighbors belongings” hmmm does that mean that if i am really in love with my neighbors shoes and i go out and buy one exactly like it am i going to hell? and the other one “thou shall not covet thine neighbors wife” Again i cant have sexy thoughts about my neighbors wife? i don’t see whats bad about that. And lastly, “Thou shalt have no other gods before me” Does that mean there are other gods, but you shouldn’t worship them? because there is a definite differentiation between idols and gods according to the commandments.
- What could the people in the Bible do that was sooo bad that God killed all of them in a flood save a handful and started anew? what could be worse than what people are doing today (holocaust, WW1, WW2, crusades, inquisition etc etc etc)
- A mother and father grew up a child to kill, he didn’t know that killing was wrong, he didn’t know about God, Christianity or any form of religion. He died, will he go to hell seeing that technically he didn’t know better and he was just ‘honoring’ his mother and father?
- What will happen to all those people who didn’t know about God/Christianity and were worshiping buddah, Allah or whoever ? Will they receive a get out of hell free card?
- What if you live your life good, you did the right things but you just didn’t follow any religion, will you go to hell too?
- If the Bible is right why are there so many denominations with each saying they are right, evidently one must be wrong and if thats the case who should i believe?
- The early church (Roman Catholic) killed a lot of people in the name of God, trying to convert the pagans to the one true faith, believe or die. Seeing that the early church was based on the fortunes obtained through these massacres and they killed (and the commandments didn’t say anything about thou shalt not kill unless its for God) isn’t the Church today based off bloodshed and violence? How can you believe in an institution that has its foundation of death and bloodshed. Most of the Christian territories today weren’t by choice but by force…is that right? Don’t say for the greater good, because in this case the end does NOT justify the means.
- If you speak against God or ask questions you are blaspheming, why is that? it seems to me thats just there to ensure that you don’t ask questions like these and find the many fallacies. I should think, that if you ask and you get a great answer backed by proof and irrefutable facts Christianity and the whole idea of God would get more believers.
- If all sin carry the same weight except blaspheming and presumptuously sinning (Sunday School). Are you saying that if i lie or kill I’m going to hell either way, isn’t that harsh, putting me beside Hitler when all i did was tell a little white lie.
- You cant deny that a lot of those early disciples and early Christians were very simple minded, maybe one day they ate too much hashish and had a mass dream, or they saw someone drowning and assumed Jesus was walking on water or the resurrection was just them seeing what they wanted to see, too many tears and sadness will cause hallucinations too you know.
- Someone also told me that Jesus said that there will be many impersonators so do not believe them. What if someone appeared saying they were Jesus and he/she did a lot of wonderful, miracles and told you to write a new new testament would you believe them?
- A lot of those early teachings read like things you should do in those earlier times for example, don’t fornicate. That just sounded to me like “hey y’all don’t have contraceptives and a kid in a broken home wont work cause women are treated like shit and thats not good to have a kid being grown up by a mother alone especially with ignorant people around”. Maybe now if there was a new new testament it would read “fornicate cuz yall have contraceptives and even if the girl get pregnant, no one cares she can raise the child and probably that child will grow up ok, its not frowned upon, and who says you have to be married to have kids, i mean the father can still take care of his kids” Don’t you think so?
- With everyone holding a cross and praying to it/through it or whatever isn’t the cross like an idol? aren’t we manifesting and image of the Lord thy God through the cross? its just interesting that at the front of the church there is a cross that everyone is praying to…looks like an idol to me. After all we weren’t told by God (at least i don’t think so) to use a cross to help worship him.
Well, i think thats it for now, i hope i can get some answers
Additional Questions from Ed (link to comment):
But wait there’s more:
- How can we have free-will AND an all-knowing god? This would mean that he already knows what we will be doing next!
- Speaking of free-will, if god creates everyone, and he creates someone with limited skills/knowledge isn’t he limiting that persons “free-will”? No amount of willing will make me run if I’m stuck in a wheelchair…
- Since we are not the original source of evil, wouldn’t an all-powerful, all-just, all-knowing god destroy the ROOT of evil instead (HIS own creation, Satan) instead of everyone else (and yet, he keep Satan around)? “Hmm… that snake is going to cause trouble… maybe I should poof it out of existence…”
- I know he said he’d never flood the Earth again, blah blah blah, but isn’t that like a parent allowing a baby to play on a rooftop? Someone call DCFS!
- Your religion is largely based on your family and your location. Christians like to believe that everyone else is wrong but… how can I be wrong for being born WHERE I was born and brought up to believe what my family believes (Christian or not)? After all, god made me AND put me WHERE I’m at…
- God created languages (to confuse and divide people- not unlike religions) but what if my language has no concept of god?
- Speaking of birth, if god created us, why did we get certain instincts pre-programmed, but we are not born with the one true religion? What is to say then that we will ever come across the “correct path” to him?
- Ghosts- can they fly through walls? Does it hurt them? So how can one’s soul burn in hell? Feelings are due to nerves in our bodies, right?
- Why not just appear to us all RIGHT NOW? End the bloodshed, unite us all, correct the wicked. People could still CHOOSE (free-will) to ignore, disbelieve, be wicked, etc. but at least they were shown proof instead of having to cherry-pick through some ancient book’s stories, misinterpretations, and mistakes.
- Should we ALL still be punished for Adam and Eve? Isn’t that a bit harsh? Why dont we just send everyone to jail because a few of us are bad? If my puppy cannot pass algebra class should he be punished for it? Or should I know better than to expect the puppy to EVER know algebra? The same applies to Adam, the snake, and the apple.